Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Gottlieb Daimler,1896




I opened up one of my old books today, and out fall these two photos that are folded together at the edge. I thought, oh cool, check out the old cars. I then read the caption at the bottom of the picture, and low and behold, who is driving the car in the second picture? Mr. Gottlieb Daimler himself!

Hahaha, I'm totally kidding. I had no idea who Gottlieb Daimler was before I Googled his name.  I know, I know. Shame on me, right?  

Gottlieb Daimler was an engineer, industrial designer, and industrialist who was German. He was a pioneer of internal-combustion engines and automobile development. He also invented the high-speed petrol engine. He had a business partner, Wilhelm Maybach, and in 1890 they founded the Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft, DMG. DMG signed a long term co-operation agreement with Karl Benz and in 1926, 26 years after Gottliebs death, the companies merged to become Daimer-Benz AG.

Benz! That I have heard of! That has to count for something, no? So Gottlieb was the inventor of the modern gas automobile. There, now we all know and can breathe a little bit easier around car enthusiasts. These two pictures were taken in 1896. Pretty cool to see the inventor of something using the very thing he invented, right???  I think so as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment