Saturday, October 19, 2013

Carl Nielsen, Danish Boxer

Our headline reads, Carl Nielsen had to be content with point victory. First, let me say that throughout the entirety of my life, I have taken the sports section out of the newspaper and promptly  recycled it, used it to build a fire, or used it to provide protection for the table when doing an art project. I have never given it any other thought. And yet, here I am posting about a sports article. Not even that, the reason this paper was saved was for the article on the back, which I will share later (Charles Dickens).

About 8 months ago I decided to do something I have had an interest in for some time. I started taking boxing classes! Finding a physical activity I love doing has been wonderful. Unlike many people, I hate to run, and truly believe God gave us running only because he also gave us bears. It was not meant to be such an overused activity. That said, I know many, many friends who love to run and it gives them peace and all that jazz. I have also seen friends younger than myself having knee surgery..ahem. Just saying. So, not dissing the zen you all get from running, I get it. I get the same zen from hitting a bag, not people, in case you were wondering. Short story long, this is why I stopped at this particular sports story. Boxing.

Our man Carl is a tough guy to track down. I have found lists of every fight he ever had and who they were with. But to find any personal information on him has proven ridiculously difficult. The biggest problem is that there is a famous Danish composer by the same name. He's taking over all of my searches.  I know Carl passed away in 1991 at the age of 72. That is all she wrote. I will say this, boxing is an incredibly difficult sport, if you don't believe me, go try it. Footwork, jabs, and kidney punches, all while trying to not get the tar beat out of you, not easy. My respect, Mr. Nielsen.



No comments:

Post a Comment