Saturday, October 19, 2013

Portrait Mystery

The portrait in question is of Ludvig Holberg, Baron of Holberg. He was a writer, essayist, philosopher, historian and playwright. He was born in Norway in 1684, spent most of his life in Denmark, and died in 1754. He is considered the founder of modern Danish and Norwegian literature. His works about natural and common law were widely read by many Danish law students over 200 years.

That's the dish. Apparently, there was one portrait of the Ludvig, that was burned at some point, and all of the other portraits are copies of this first original. Whew...that being said, I have been trying to translate this article for longer than I have patience for. HA! People are disagreeing, there are curators and "professionals" all trying to be heard on who they think painted the original portrait. Honestly, shouldn't this article be screaming it wasn't X it was Y who painted this thing! I am tired of searching, looking for Mr. Y's name. If you can read this article, and feel like sharing, my curiosity MAY be piqued again. I really need to learn more Danish. Sigh...Paper was printed in 1961, that part I got. Hahaha



No comments:

Post a Comment