Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Infant Care Magazine from 1943


This is a pretty cool find. Right smack dab in the middle of WWII, well towards the end I suppose. Here is this little magazine on how to take care of your aged 0-1 years old. What a nice piece of normalcy during a time I cannot even fathom living through.

The magazine is 16 pages, front and back, with tons of pictures. It starts right in at breast feeding and give you all of the appropriate milestones a baby should hit throughout it's first year of life.

It's been a while since I had my babies, but it doesn't seem like a lot has changed. We have more options as far as formula goes, and parenting style certainly goes through fads, but the basics remain the same. A few things have definitely changed. The cribs I see in this magazine would not meet code anymore. The bars are begging for little people body parts to go through them, and I'm sure they did.

I must point out the hats here. The nurses on the back cover page are wearing those typical nurses hats that only now seem to make an appearance around Halloween, heaven help us all. Sexy nurse costumes? Really? As a nurse myself, I can tell you with some authority that having multiple persons bodily fluids all over you is not sexy. 12 hour shifts? Nope, not even close to sexy. Hard, long, physically and emotionally draining days those were. I do miss some of the patient care, getting to know people. The world is full of amazing people, just have to listen to them for a few minutes. I learned so much during my time in the hospital.

These days I spend my time selling my books, playing with the  kids, and watching life flash before my eyes at a million miles an hour. Still getting a little patient care though. Laser tattoo removal, also not sexy. But meet the coolest people and hear some pretty amazing stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment