Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book and Card 1937


I sometimes, rarely, find books in English while I am unpacking my new shipment. I found this one yesterday. It's Kenilworth by Sir Walter Scott. I can't find a print date on the inside, but the inscription from Harry says 1937. There was this little card with the boy and girl on it, which I assume came with flowers or something, and this Christmas and Happy New Year card. It seems to be vellum which is pretty rare these days. As I flip through the book, there is also a little pressed leaf. I can only guess what kind of memories Harry and Karen made together to prompt this gift. My imagination goes to a love story, but Harry's "with best wishes" on the card kind of squashes that theory. Unless they were seeing each other on the sly. Oh, I like that. Why else keep all this stuff and the pressed leaf if it didn't mean something special?

No comments:

Post a Comment