Friday, January 3, 2014

Winston and the Nazi

 As you can see, this is a newpaper clipping from April 1940. Good 'ol Winston is on puffing away on one side, and we have a cartoon with a Nazi soldier on the other. Winston, the man was a walking heart attack waiting to happen, overweight, smoking and drinking constantly, and I am pretty sure his job was on the stressful side. Haha.  This guy was the quite the character. If you haven't been to the Winston Churchill War Rooms in London, you are missing out. Highly recommended.

The translation is roughly, and I mean very roughly; Can I know? Hansi, your Wiener Child. Now, if anyone out there can make heads or tails of that, I will thank you. To me, and I excel at taking wild stabs in the dark, I think this Nazi wants to join the family. He has his suitcase and he means business. The look on the couples faces is priceless. So is this trying to say, look out world, we are moving in and taking over! 1940 was pretty early in the war, so maybe that is the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment