Saturday, November 19, 2011

T. S. Eliot Turns 70

















It's September 26, 1958 and T. S. Eliot is turning 70 years old. This article is actually pretty long, but I didn't feel like I had enough room to put the whole thing on here. I did include a couple of the cartoons, they were too great not to. The picture of Mr. Eliot looking all dapper with his hat and cane says, "there was always something timeless about him" under it. You can't look at that picture and think otherwise. The cartoon where he is standing next to the desk says, "he progresses on a rising track," and the last cartoon says, "the leading word of his criticism is precision and tradition." I could ramble on about T. S. Eliot's life, but I choose instead to share a few of my favorite quotes from him. Enjoy.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?
Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal.
You are the music while the music lasts.





No comments:

Post a Comment