Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Arne Garborg, Norwegian writer


This article is celebrating 100 years since Arne Garborg's birth, and is dated January 25, 1951. I had to look this fellow up. He died in 1924, and lived half way around the world, so I don't feel too bad about that fact, but it does make me realize how uneducated I truly am. Arne started as a newspaper man and editor and went on to publish essays and novels. I found one especially cool quote from him that I thought bore repeating.

"It is said that for money you can have everything, but you cannot. You can buy food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; knowledge, but not wisdom; glitter, but not beauty; fun, but not joy; acquaintances, but not friends; servants, but not faithfulness; leisure, but not peace. You can have the husk of everything, but not the kernel."

Very well said, Arne.

No comments:

Post a Comment