Monday, September 5, 2011

Historical Procession in Elsinore, Denmark 1926








This is a really cool booklet that was given out by the Helsingor Tourist Association in 1926. Elsinore is English for Helsingor, by the way. And if this really took place, this would have been the coolest procession ever! It says that there will be approximately 500 participants, including 50 on horseback and then goes on to give the order in which they will appear. That is what these cool pictures are, the order of appearance. I couldn't fit them all on here, so you are seeing the first and last panels. The first one says; Herald, Riders with Standards, and Music. The last panel says; Nobility, Citizens with Elsinore Brand, Rider-Captain. Ok, I'm sure my translations are not perfect and I hope all the Danish readers will forgive me. I have searched the internet for any clue about this procession and cannot find a thing. All I come up with is how Helsingor/Elsinore is the place Shakespeare's Hamlet is set, which is really cool, but bring on the parade!! I would be really tempted to brave the cooler temps of Denmark to watch this thing. Please, someone tell me it still happens. Love the look on the Rider-Captain's face in the last picture, ticked because he following all the other horses? Where's the pooper scooper? Hey, at least he's riding. The Nobility has to walk through that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment