Saturday, October 22, 2011

John Traugott and Laurence Sterne


This is an article that was published July 29, 1955. It appears to be a rather scathing review of a book written by John Traugott. Mr. Traugott was professor of English at UC Berkeley in California. I can't see who wrote the article, but they were pretty brutal. He says that most of the remarks by Mr. Traugott were "blurred and obscured by his besetting sin, bad writing." Yikes. Saying that to anyone is pretty bad, but to a professor of English! The author of this article had serious balls. What a terrible phrase, but it's the one that I keep thinking of, so there you go. I am not a writer, obviously, but I would love someone to find some mistakes in this article! I had to look up Laurence Sterne. For someone who has had multiple people dissecting his work, he was completely foreign to me. I googled, I Wikipedia'd, and still no sign of recognition. More proof I am in dire need of a better education.

No comments:

Post a Comment