Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tennyson


An article in English! Let me explain something first. When I receive books for Book Decor, I can get 6,000 to 9,000 books at a time. They do not come divided by language or age. I go through each book by hand to divide them by language and by group as I have designated them at Book Decor; Jewel Tone, Designer Mix, French, German, etc. Out of 6,000 books, I will find about 7 books that are actually in English. I am completely rotten and keep all the English language books for myself. For some reason last night, I was standing in front of my book shelf and pulled out a 1911 Poems of Tennyson. Lo and behold, out falls this article about Tennyson! I swear I have looked through this book before and found nothing. Loved that it had a picture, very Jane Austen looking. The article tells about some proof sheets for the 1856 edition of Tennyson's 'Maud' that includes pen-and-ink revisions by Tennyson. And a poem in Tennyson's writing on the title page of the book. This poem has not been found in any of his other writings. The article goes on the explain why this is likely an original by Tennyson. I thought is was lovely, so here it is.

Pleasure in false love
Blights while it charms,
Sorrow in true love
Heals where it harms.
False love maketh
Sane men sad.
True love helpeth
Even the mad.

I'm usually one that needs poetry explained to me, but this one I get. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment