Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Denmark Corvette


I am sure I have mentioned before that this blog has been very educational for me. For instance, I had no idea that a corvette was a type of warship. I kept trying to translate this little article and it kept giving me corvette and I'm thinking no, this is some sort of a ship, not a car. Ok, I feel humbled, slightly humiliated and completely silly. But on the bright side, I learned something new today! Under our picture of our CORVETTE it says, " Today was the third corvette of Belleona-class, Denmark has been built in Italy to Copenhagen." Ok, translation is not perfect but you get the meaning. It was sailed here under the command of Commander M. H. Bredsdorff. The name of the corvette is Flora and is following the previous corvettes, Diana and Triton. All the ships were built by U.S funds made available as part of the USA's great utility help program. The last of the corvettes were expected to arrive shortly after New Year holidays. This ran in the paper November 1, 1956. I tried to find some info on the US utility program and didn't come up with much. This wasn't too long after WWII so I imagine there were many programs in place at that time. It may be that my translation wasn't perfect. Who knows. Interesting though. If anyone out there has any information on this, please let me know. Very interested over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment