Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy New Year



The front of this postcard actually translates as Welcome New Year. At first glance I thought this was a such a cute little card, nice little cherub out in the snow wishing us a happy new year. Then I noticed our little anatomically correct friend is seriously lacking in the clothes department and it's freezing outside! The artist wants to make sure we know exactly how cold it is by showing us the frozen water in the pipe, and for the slower thinkers, even gave us a thermometer showing the frigid temperatures. Nice. I'm seeing some little wings so I am convincing myself that angelic naked kids can't actually feel the cold. Still, I think the artist has some explaining to do. I'm sure there are thematic elements I am totally missing. I hope. As you can see, our post card is from 1936 and mailed right in the nick of time, December 30th. The handwriting is beautiful and the lines are almost too straight to believe. The writing is so thin, I have to believe it was done with something other than your average pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment